Sunday, May 21, 2006

The things I do for fondue

I was an old married suburban mother of four on Friday night.

One of my friends hosted a card-making party and lured me there with the promise of a chocolate fondue. And I never say no to fondue. Never.

A "professional" card-maker came to teach my friend and the ladies present how to stamp the proper word onto the proper card and how to properly layer the pre-cut paper.

I only lasted about five minutes following the proper instructions, before I got in trouble for doing one of my cards the wrong way. I guess I'm too A.D.D. ish to follow rigid instructions. Also, I might be wrong, but I thought the point of making homemade cards was to give them a personal, non-generic touch.

(Please note that I'll be annoyed if anyone compliaments me on these cards. All I did was glue and cut what the lady told me to.)

Soon enough the repression was over, the card lady left, and the fondue fun started. Delicious.

Also delicious was the midnight cheap-theater movie a few of us went to afterwards. We went to Failure to Launch just to see Matthew Mik-Conna-Hay. (Why didn't he change his last name to something like Hay to make things easier for the illiterate?) The movie was not so good, the close-ups, exquisite.

1 comment:

Amanda Franks said...

I hate following the directions too, although I love card making. I think I'll become a rep and not give any direction and then I'll watch as they all flounder around going "baa baa what are we supposed to be doing?". Just kidding. I think they do it like that so you can get over your fear that your creativity wont be good enough and then once you've done it and think "I can do so much better on my own" you have to buy zillions of their products cuz you want one piece from each kit!