Tuesday, May 30, 2006

My promise

I spent the summer before Grade 10 here.



Timbuktu, Mali, West Africa



I worked with a group of about 30 others to build a church out of sand, gravel, water and cement powder.

(Squinting won't help; I'm not in the picture.)


It was grueling and we saw things I couldn't have imagined:

We heard villagers banging drums all night in a religious ceremony.

I had tea in a grass-mat hut with an old man who didn't speak English and a translator.

I rode a camel (and almost fell off). Later I ate a piece of really-chewy greenish camel meat.

I ate sand because of how thickly it blew in the wind.

A villager yodelled for us while we shovelled.

We shopped in the local market.

I showered with a bucket.


I swam in the Niger River and we played Chicken on each others' shoulders. We could hear hippos grunting in the distance.


I felt alive.


While boarding the plane to leave, I turned to say goodbye. The sun was sinking, the sky was pink and the sand was glowing. And I promised I would be back.

Bamako, Mali, West Africa

7 comments:

Jen said...

Yes. Exactly! I wanna do that.

Dreamlover said...

That is way too awesome, why did you go?

With a church group?

geeksters said...

Back in my Heart-of-Darkness-y-convert-the-natives days, yes, I did go with a religious organization. When I go back it will be with a respect for the culture and beliefs of others.

Dreamlover said...

lol, I have mixed views regarding missionaries and the such, but I think it is def a great experience to have and can benefit them and you!!

Peter Matthes said...

That is a great post.

We never remember the silly things that we buy for ourselves, but we never will forget the trips that we take.

Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! penna taxes Desactivar windows scripting host en windows xp Cheap calls ti europe from ukl Starwood 401k csplans