Saturday, May 06, 2006

Fat face (graphic and potentially disturbing)

On Thursday I watched silver tools flash while a woman cut my jaw open, digging for my last wisdom tooth that lay beneath the surface of the gum.

Normally the dentist prefers to wait until the tooth starts to come through the gums, but mine needed to be taken out sometime and my insurance is quickly running out.

So the dentist cut my jaw open, found the tooth, which, by the way, was the same size as the middle bone in my pinky, and began to wrestle with it.

One of my roots was wrapped around my jaw bone, anchoring it into place so she couldn't get it loose. So there was a lot of drilling, where I had the unfortunate experience of swallowing some tiny flecks of bone, a lot of gross sounds, a resounding crack when she broke my tooth in half, a lot of, "Are you okay, dear? You're doing great," and finally it was over.

The end of my long and bitter battle with giant teeth and a tiny jaw is here. Or it will be when the swelling is gone.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Ick. My dentist is recommending that I get all 4 of my wisdom teeth out and none of them have come through the gums yet. They said they would put me under, which I would definitely appreciate.

I hope you are feeling well soon!