Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Backwards sacrifice

I don't usually do anything for Lent because I always regret giving up chocolate and never make it all the way until Easter without losing my resolve.

But this year was different. A lot of the girls in my class were going on a rigid diet and others were committing to all sorts of self deprivation. So I chose to give up something too -- my scale.

Instead of being obsessed with my weight, I decided to ignore it, be happy and see what would happen. About half way to Lent I started to worry about what kind of catastrophe I was headed for. I started to panic and Easter took a very long time to arrive this year.

But when I finally weighed myself, the numbers were exactly the same as they had been earlier.

Somewhere along those 40 days I stopped caring about how much I was eating and let myself relax. Now I eat whenever I want to and have as much ice cream as I feel like having, but without even trying to discipline myself I've stopped getting carried away. I've stopped seeing treats as proof of weakness and started to enjoy them for what they are.

And I'm finally becoming healthy.

13 comments:

Jen said...

Wow- I want to do that too! Good for you. :)

Lindsay said...

Good for you! Thats a hard lesson, but I bet your happy you learned it! Way to go!

Christy and Dustin said...

That's why I don't own a scale. I'm way too obsessed about my weight. And beings obsessed about weight while having a baby is a bad thing. Godd girl!

Amanda Brown said...

Our bodies DO hold the key to health and contentment. We are so quick to quiet their urges and try to figure things out for ourselves, but when you are thirsty, drink; hungry, eat; full, stop; tired, rest. So simple but for some reason a challenge!

Jen said...

I've noticed that too Mom. Not that it's worse necessarily in Summerland but I've never been surrounded by so many people all so concerned about weight.

x said...

you can never be too rich or too thin.

(personally i'm finding that a diet comprised entirely of vodka, naughty salt and the hearts of virgins is working rather swimmingly...)

geeksters said...

Sounds very nutritious.

x said...

red meat really only does the trick if the blood is still pumping, i think

call me old fashioned...

geeksters said...

Before I dropped my class, I read some interesting things in the text.

Some researchers think that dieting CAUSES eating disorders because it changes the way we think and the way our bodies digest our food.

Between 20 to 80 percent of female university students have eating disorders. (The first study was more objective, so likely more accurate.) I think it's probably because when there are so many young women all together, they need a way to stand out and feel validated. I think that can happen quite often when there are a group of equals that share the same beliefs and lifestyles.

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! principal leadership training uk Car audio amplifier shaker Distance learning graphic design school