Thursday, May 25, 2006

Poor eyes

My functional smart-looking chunky brown plastic glasses broke about two months ago when the frame over one of the lenses snapped.

At first I was too busy to try to get them fixed so I kept wearing them, hoping the lense wouldn't fall out.

Three glasses repair shops said they couldn't do anything to put them back together, but the fourth shop was much more helpful. The worker melted the plastic and squished the frame together until it held. It's just a temporary fix, he said, but it could last a few months.

So now it's time to make a decision.

Glasses cost me about $650 a pair and usually last 3-5 years. Contacts and I don't get along well, but I still buy them and they cost about $200 for two years because I barely ever wear them.

That would add up to an estimated $1050 every four years. In 12 years, if the costs stayed the same, I would have paid enough for laser eye surgery.

$3,000 is a lot to pay for something that might not work, could leave me blind, or could stop working after a few years. It's also a lot to pay considering I'm really cheap to start with, unemployed, and in debt to the government.

It's quite a big risk, but I would really love to see my alarm clock when I wake up in the morning, to stop needing to clean my glasses every few minutes, and to be able to go swimming without worrying my contacts will get lost in my eye sockets.

I think I'll go glasses shopping today and see if I find a pair I can't live without. That would make my decision easier.

(photo courtesy of The Photographer)

3 comments:

Dreamlover said...

snap again, my dig chewed my glasses a couple of months ago and I don't know whether or not to get laser eye surgery or stick with the glasses.
I've never worn contacts, they seem too hard to put in.

Michelle said...

Buy your contacts online. Cheap cheap cheap. Jen and I have been doing it for years.

x said...

that lasik shit really works its like a miracle.

all my mates got it, it's really like a 'hallelujah! i can see' moment. quite amazing.

(back in the day they actually used to do it with scalpels....)