Saturday, May 06, 2006

My best kid (part 2); also known as the horrible walk

My baby sister and I went for a walk today at dusk. It was a beautiful evening with a light, but warm breeze.

We took our other sisters' two dogs with us, which was, as always, a horrible mistake. Every time we take the dogs for a walk, one or both of them ends up getting away. She has trouble holding on to their leashes; I think it's funny to let them go and watch her catch them. (These are clearly not the most well-behaved dogs around, and I am clearly not the best big sister.)

We hasn't been walking more than three minutes when the inevitable happened; she let go of the bad one's leash. He took off down the street and headed to a busy road. We chased him, calling him, but with no success.

Did I mention that this little bad beast has a fascination with cars? He barks at them and runs directly towards them, always aiming for the wheels.

A car came by, as always happens when this dog is on the loose. And had the driver not been so alert, the problem of this dumb dog could have been resolved. (I don't really mean that; he's stupid, but still cute and sweet.) We fianlly caught him and continued on the walk.

Then my sister began complaining that her foot was hurting. Turns out she had a mean blister. So, being wise, I suggested she take off her shoes and walk on the side of the road. She couldn't handle the little gravel bits and began walking in the grass.

Soon she stepped on a thistle. I was trying to pick the spikes out from the bottom of her foot when we were surrounded by a cloud of mosquitoes. She is terrified of mosquitoes because they always bite her.

So she asked me to pick her up, since she couldn't walk on her blistery, thistley foot, and carry her home. I held her, her shoes and the dog leashes and set off for home, trying to run faster than the mosquitoes could fly. Finally we made it back to safety.

Poor kid; her mosquitoe bites and blister are still bothering her.

But it wasn't so bad for me: I came away from the adventure with zero mosquito bites (they hate my vegetarian blood) and a ridiculous story. Not too bad for a night of babysitting.

4 comments:

Jen said...

LOL! There's a good story.

geeksters said...

Sorry for the oversight Faunty; you are quite correct that there is another party to blame - the dog's owner.

When are you going to teach him anything?

geeksters said...

Yes, I was admittedly incapable of looking after him.

However, the difference between you and I in this situation is that I was able to realize my dog-raising shortcomings, regardless of feeling attached to the tiny little ball of fluff he was.

After I came to that realization, one or two days after bringing him home, I decided to be responsible and let him go to another, better home.

That you could not distinguish between your affection for a cute puppy and your ability to care for him, is regretably unfortunate. And if he ends up being hit by a car, it will most certainly be because of your own personal shortcomings.

x said...

funny, they won't touch me either...

perhaps for slightly different reasons, chemically speaking...