Friday, May 05, 2006

Scarcity

In economics the idea of scarcity means that the less there is of a given product, the more consumers will be willing to pay for it and the more they will want it.

For example, the cafeteria in the newsroom I used to work for sold delicious-looking cinnamon buns. But they only made a limited number of the treats and only on specific days. Every time they made them, my coworkers would hurry to the cafeteria to snatch them up before they were gone. Several coffee break discussions centred around how decadent the cinnamon buns were and how those who missed out couldn't stop droooling.

Yet there were always leftovers when it came to the equally delicious baking that made its way into the office for everyone to share.

Why this is relevant:

Since school ended I haven't found (or really even looked for) any viable means of employment, and I've had quite a bit of freetime as a result. That's why I've been able to post so much lately. And I have dozens more posts that I'm holding back so as not to flood the internet with my mundanity.

Perhaps if my posts were more scarce, they would become more valuable. Or perhaps since supply and demand always meet at a fixed point regardless of how vast the supply is, I should continue as is. I think the later is the option I will follow.

Free cinnamon buns here, and lots of them!

3 comments:

Jen said...

Keep posting! The more the better.

x said...

cinnamon.

geeksters said...

Tricky word to spell. I'm actually impressed that i only got one letter wrong:)