Sunday, May 21, 2006

In memorium

I'd like the memory of me
to be a happy one.
I'd like to leave an after glow
of smiles when life is done.
.
I'd like to leave an echo
whispering softly down the ways
of happy times and laughing times
and bright and sunny days.
.
I'd like the tears of those who grieve
to dry before the sun
of happy memories I leave
when life is done.
- author unknown
.

I went to high school with Ashley and in the fall after we graduated, she died. We were never really friends, but in a school with a graduating class of about a hundred every knows everyone. And everyone certainly knew Ashley.

She was the popular one, the one everyone wanted to be, the one whose future was absolutely unlimited. She was so beautiful and so bubbly. Six years later, I still remember how her nose wrinkled up when she laughed.

Our chemistry teacher did her eulegy and read this inscription from Ashley's yearbook: "Everyone hates Ashley because she has no zits and no hips." You could watch her for hours and not find fault with her.

For six years she has been laying in a box underground after a car accident stole her away. I wish I could know that she's happy and having a great time floating around in the sky. I wish I could know that she knows I care. I wish I knew that heaven exists.

I miss you and your beautiful soul.

2 comments:

x said...

die young, stay pretty.

amen, r.i.p., sister.

geeksters said...

Thank you for your comments. They mean a lot to me on this particular post.