Monday, June 05, 2006

Skunked

Faunty and I went for a walk tonight and we had a close encounter with two skunks.

One made eye contact with us before turning sideways to hide himself, very ineffectively, in the grass.

The other one was cuter and braver. He looked at us with his shiny little beady eyes while I crouched down talking to him. I've never seen a skunk that wasn't roadkill or in a zoo before. Consequently, I have never been sprayed, but I'm never one to turn down an adventure, no matter how stinky.

This skunk was no more than 10 feet away and was a lot braver than his friend. He kept pausing to stare at me, while doing little sideways hops away. Everytime he hopped, I worried he was about to let out a torrent of poison gas, but he just kept inching his way away.

Now I just smell like sunscreen, creamsicles and a little summer sweat. And I may be just a little disappointed not to be bathing in tomatoe soup.

1 comment:

geeksters said...

Thank you, Tanya. You made me feel all warm and grinny for a moment:)