Sunday, June 04, 2006

Not working

I didn't get that public relations job I wrote about earlier.

The job description was going to all the summer festivals I could find, while trying to raise the network's profile and giving live interviews about what's going at this concert or at that face-painting booth.

I would have had to move across the province for the job and was the only out-of-city applicant. The woman doing the hiring said she didn't pick me because: "We decided to go with a candidate that has a better knowledge of the city."

That's the kind of letdown you can expect from the P.R. professionals. Not "you gave a terrible interview" and not "your hands were freakishly sweaty, so I decided from the initial handshake that there was no way I would hire you."

On that note, I thought I'd share a few of my corporate (un)success stories. I have been fired* from the following:

- a farm insurance office where I did filing, mail sorting and answered phones (Incidentally, this was my first real job.)

-Tim Hortons (my second job)

-a local candy and nut packing company (my fourth job)

-a hotel where I did three 'ousekeeping shifts

-an upscale restraurant where I washed dishes a few times

I maintain that for the most part these firings weren't my fault.

For example, I was fired from my dishwashing job because of a misunderstanding. A few days before having out-of-town visitors, I asked if I could leave early one night to spend time with them. My boss agreed and said I could leave "at 9 pm when the rush is over."

Does that not mean that the rush ends by 9, so I had his permission to leave then?

Or does it really mean that the rush could end any time between 9 pm and 2 am and I would have to stay until the last of the crumbs were wiped up, while my guests waited in the parking lot from 9 on?

I left at 9 and found myself out of a job.

So even though I didn't get hired for this new job, at least that means I can't get fired from it.

*By "fired" I mean told I wasn't welcome to continue working. I believe all my former employers used terms like: " we regret that your services are no longer required" and "circumstances dictate that we have to let you go."

7 comments:

Dreamlover said...

Why did you get fired from the housekeeping job??

geeksters said...

When I got hired I was also working at a coffee shop and absolutely loved working there.

In the interview I told the woman who became my boss that the coffee shop would be my top priority and my housekeeping shifts would have to be sceduled around it. (I can be a little blunt like that, but I didn't want the job if it meant giving up the coffee shop.)

When I refused a shift because I was working at the coffee shop, she accused me of lying to her. She thought I told her cleaning bathrooms and changing dirty sheets would be my top priority.

Dreamlover said...

lol, that is tooo funny.

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»

Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. digital camcorder information printing Vintage interracial movies facts on teeth whitening Cheap tenuate prescription Baccarat+gambling+system Can i wear maternity clothes at 16 weeks pain relief wellness clinic diamondhead2cms http://www.contemporary-furniture-6.info/South-carolina-new-kitchen-furniture.html nude women in plastic rain coats pain relief Bak pain relief home remedy for toothache relief Ativan+info Scholarship letter of recommendation example therapy lower back pain relief Mip accounting reward credit cards Ontario university of technology

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! Dvr 2400 surveillance camera appliance energy use comparision sideeffects neurontin http://www.ge-appliances-country-planet.info/Appliances4.html New indication for zithromax