Thursday, June 22, 2006

Scandal hunting

I'm tracking down information that people don't want published and it's kind of fun in an Erin-Brockovitch (sp) way.

A source tipped the paper off that there was an accident in a nearby mine. I keep calling, but haven't gotten in contact with the mine superinendant yet. But his secretary keeps saying, "I cannot give out that information" when I ask her anything.

And there's a town and a reserve that build a project together and they blame each other for it falling apart. I might be headed up there today to discover more. The mayor of the town has already threatened to sue the paper and an unflattering story about him ran in the paper a few days ago, so I wonder what kind of reception I'll get.

Update:

There was an accident at the mine and the company said they'll send me the press release.

I do get to go to the town/reserve. It's a historical village and I can't wait to get a little tour. I have interviews booked to find out more about the scandal and am also covering the graduation ceremonies for the First Nation high school.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow that sounds like a hell of a lot of fun.

Good luck on getting the scope.

Dreamlover said...

WOW, your job sounds pretty cool.

Get that story, Nancy Drew, lol

Jen said...

You get to be a journalist AND a detective! No fair. ;)

x said...

balls out, all the way, sis.

Michelle said...

Wow, what an exciting job you have.