Friday, June 02, 2006

Pandora

I have betrayed my anti-spying convictions -- I installed a stat counter to boost my self-esteem and see how many people are reading about my shoe-purchasing, slothful, shamefully-ego-centric existence.

But my plan backfired. Now I've discovered how many people clicked on my blog in the last few days, I wonder why most of them have never commented.

Do they find me in the next-blog search tool and click away within seconds?

Am I that boring that people have nothing to say? Or are they intimidated by my considerable wit?

Are they repulsed by my writing but refined enough to follow the maxim: "Don't say anything if you don't have anything nice to say?"

Are all my ex-boyfriends secretly checking up on me and not commenting because they know I already think they're creepy?

Ah to go back to my ignorance. Sometimes not knowing is better than knowing a little and the endless questions that little plop of information brings.

A fitting punishment for a spy.

-- To everyone who has ever commented: "Hi. I like it when you say nice things."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

'Tis a strange thing indeed to see the folks who make stops at your blog. I've got a statcounter too and love seeing the parts of the globe people come from. I wish you could see a photo of the people, don't you? :)

Jen said...

I want to get a stat counter but I can't figure it out. I know it's supposed to be a simple thing but I just can't do it!

You've encouraged me to reconsider my desire for one.

geeksters said...

Eww. No I don't want to be that much of a creepy internet surveillance spy, Amanda. But peep away if that's what you like:)

I only discovered the stat counter a few days ago and now I feel like countless people are staring through my computer back at me.

Jen, if you really want to, you can find the stat counter I have at http://www.statcounter.com/. But be warned; you may find it frightening how often I check your blog. And, like me, you may be surprised by your own capacity for stalkeriness.

N said...

okay, okay, so i am leaving a comment on your blog. and i would just like to say i am NOT doing it out of pity of your sad post, but because you were nice enough to leave a comment on mine. thanks for the directions to the stat counter- now i totally have to have one!

Dreamlover said...

Stat counters make you more obsessed, trust me!!

They can bring great highs and low low's and now you see how often I come on your site, hehe!!!

Unknown said...

Statcounter had made me hate weekends. Does everybody only read when they are at work and supposed to be working.

btw insert nice comment here.

Amanda Franks said...

I comment every now and then. I just find myself curious to ask more questions of you, and I'm afraid I might slip up the anonymous part. I do enjoy reading about your life though.

geeksters said...

I love questions. Fire away, Amanda. Everything is fair game as long as you don't use my name or mention where I live.

I'm glad I found your blog. It's so nice being able to reconnect with the ol' gang.

:)