Monday, June 12, 2006

Second thoughts

I agreed to take the job as a trail guide and Thursday is supposed to be my first day.

The stable owners offered me a deal where I could live in their cabin* with them, in exchange for a chunk of my salary. That wouldn't be too terrible if their cabin were bigger, if it smelled less like pee, if the floor in my room had carpet or was at least sanded, if my room had a door and/or a curtain on the window, if the cabin had internet technology so I could continue my job hunt and have a position lined up after trail-riding season, and if I didn't have to share my room and entire life with strangers.

I said thank you for the offer, but I need a bit more privacy than I could have living here. Then I said I would find my own place, because that was back when I though it would be possible to find an apartment or room to rent in a cute bustling summer-y town.

Today a hotel worker, an inn worker and a cabin worker all told me there are no places for rent. There are no for-rent ads in the paper and no renters-wanted signs hanging up around town. Even if I wanted to pay to stay at the hotel, inn or cabin, I would be kicked out on the weekends because people have been booking reservations for months now.

It seems like my only options are to stay in the pee-smelling no-bedroom-door cabin or to camp all summer, paying $15 per night to sleep one centimeter off the ground.

I don't know what to do. I said I would take the job and I still want it, but I also want (need?) a non-canvas room to myself.

*dilapidated shack

2 comments:

Jen said...

No places for rent? I'm so curious what town this is. Living in that itty-bitty space will be trying but hopefully it's manageable for you!

geeksters said...

It was the town with water slides and a popular summer camp, Jen.