Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Resolving the dispute

Faunty and I are having an argument in which she is wrong and I am right. The problem is she won't accept that I'm right until she hears a chorus of agreement with my side.

I went on multiple dates, maybe one every two or three months, over a period of two years with this guy* who lived out of town. We liked each other and everytime he was in town and had a few hours, we'd hang out, provided that neither of us was in a real relationship at the time.

Faunty thinks that because we went on dates it means we dated. As in that I was his girlfriend.

But I certainly was not.

He never said: "Will you be my girlfriend?" and I never said anything like: "Aww, you're such a great boyfriend to give me that teddy bear with a heart attached to it and a lovely card signed with XXXOOOOXOXOXOXO. Here's a mix-tape of our special songs."

Unless there is the awkward will-you-date-me conversation, you're just a mild fun-to-be-with interest. Right?

*This is the guy that sent the terrible "breaking up" text message I mentioned eariler.

By the way, what is it called if a date but not a boyfriend/girlfriend breaks up with you? Is it called "nothing" because it was never an official relationship?

10 comments:

Dreamlover said...

Not a boyfriend, just someone you "casually dated."

He would have been a bf if you had had the talk where he said, "Well dear, I do live far but lets try and make this work out ld"

And you said "yes, oh I love you so"

hehe

jfur said...

doesn't sound like a relationship to me.. he definetely wasn't your BF.

Tanya Kristine said...

he sent you a terrible break up text and you think you weren't dating?

well that's confusing!

Jen said...

I agree with Dreamlover. I wouldn't say he was your boyfriend but someone you were seeing on occasion. Oh, the crazy world of dating!

Lindsay said...

i agree with dreamlover.

geeksters said...

I knew I could count on my internet-ers to comfirm my rightness in this situation. Although it is sweet that Faunty is such a charming romanitc idealist, no?

While he was never my boyfriend, I wouldn't say that we didn't have a "relationship." I consider any good friendship -- plutonic or not -- to be a relationship of sorts.

Unknown said...

I was in the same situation once,
I was not dating to girls at the same time.
I still got a break up letter from them.

So I think it would be called an akward ending of aquiantenship.

geeksters said...

Maybe it's because until you have that conversation, you don't know if you mean anything to the other person and haven't decided how much he/she means to you.

Maybe it's that when you agree that to be someone's girlfriend/boyfriend, you imagine what your future would look like with him/her in it. But if you casually date someone you tend to think more in the moment.

Or maybe I don't know.

I like that wording, Real.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! patents What chemicals are bested used in ritalin mitsubishi discount headsets http://www.buy-levitra-online-0.info Church camping activities Llinois circuit breaker Timeshare tax effect Rosacea skin disorders Protonix crushed inkjet refills

Melissa hogan said...

My lover left me since 4weeks ago after, i tried ALMOST EVERY thing but nothing happened until i met ... __Robinson.buckler@ yahoo .com he is a wonderful Man. ... I really enjoyed the result which i got, his help is marvelous, he is truly gifted, after using his service surprisingly my boyfriend came back 3 days