Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Pomp and ceremony

I am now a graduate and not a graduand. My convocation ceremony was today, and I thought I'd leave you with a few of the special moments.

1. One of the speakers opened the ceremonies by saying: "The future now rests on the shoulders of these graduates."

Yikes; I thought all that was on my shoulders were freckles and a ridiculous gown.

2. My most recent ex-boyfriend, whom I haven't seen in about a year and didn't know was still in university, was first up to cross the stage.

How can one concentrate on the future and the historical significance of the ceremony when faced suddenly and unexpectedly with memories of outdoor winter candy necklace wars, of kissing in the sick room at the office where we both worked (making the situation more scandelous, he was my trainer), of him going on an overnight roadtrip with my at-the-time best friend just days after we broke up, and of text messages at 4 am saying "Hi" or "I like blueberry jam" ?

I may or may not have felt a little smug about having the dean announce my distinction in front of him.

3. A girl sitting in the row in front of me was getting so warm from the combination of sitting in really bright lighting and wearing a heavy gown that she was fanning herself with her program. Suddenly, as if in slow motion, I saw a shimmery drop fall and keep falling. Then it landed on her back and was immediately absorbed into her gown.

Either a single drop of rain fell through the ceiling, or I bore witness to the reason sweatbands were created.

4. Another speaker said when faced with the option of sitting the next song out or dancing, he hopes we dance.

I hope so too.

And I hope the same for all of you.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Congrats! Do dance, geeksters. Do dance.


:)

Lindsay said...

Dance like you've never danced before. I know I felt a little smug when They announced my great distinction, and my ex was sitting in the audience because he was not allowed to graduate with us, although I didn't admit that to anyone. Well now all of the world knows. AND CONGRATS on convacation!

Samantha said...

Congrats. I wonder if you were sitting behind my friend - she was sitting next to a girl who fanned herself the entire time and told her that she didn't think she'd make it through the two hours.

But since she was in Science and you were in Arts (J-School is arts, right) I'm going to guess there was more than one person dying of heat at the convocation.

Congrats again!!

Dreamlover said...

Congrats!

Dance, Dance, Dance

and I hope that guy didn't date you ex best-friend!!

geeksters said...

They didn't "date," but they spent the night in the same room and were very stiff around each other ever since. When he stopped talking to her, she wanted me to fix things between them.

Cute, huh?