Monday, June 05, 2006

One decision down, another pending

When I had just finished writing this... :

"I've finally decided what I want to be!

I want to work for a small town paper so I can write a little bit of everything -- court, school board meetings, local politics, elementary-school plays, health, etc.

I think if I spend a year working for a small paper, I'll have the experience and money to be able to find a journalism position based out of rural Africa.

So far today I've had two telephone interviews and an e-mail job proposition.

I sent my resume to one editor and he called within 30 minutes of receiving it. And the interview went really well."

... I got another call from the editor. In the 10 or so minutes from when we ended our conversation, he called one of my references and called me back to offer me the job.

That's fast. Really really fast. I have until tomorrow to let him know.

I would have to do 10 500 word stories a week. That's a lot, considering my internship was writing two 500 word stories a week. What if I can't do it? And what if it's lonely living way up north, a two-day drive away from home? And what if there's no one like me there and I make no friends?

Before all I wanted was a job offer and now I feel ill.

9 comments:

Jen said...

Take it! Seriously. It's not like you are signing away your life. If it doesn't work out and you are miserable- you look for something else.

Congrats on the offer! And so fast. You must be something special.

Amanda Franks said...

I agree. I think you can totally handle being on your own for a bit if it means getting to follow your dreams to Africa!

Dreamlover said...

Congrats, Congrats!!

Take the job!!!

And blog about it!! ;0)

Samantha said...

Congrats!

Take it, even if its just for a little while to build up some "experience" since that seems to be what everyone wants.

Plus there's not tons to do up north, so you'll save lots of money and be able to head over to Africa.

N said...

I'm going with the general blog concensus here- take the job. its only 2 hours away from where you live now??? that's NICE!!! you don't know how lucky you are. as someone who recently moved 5 1/2 hours from everything she knew and is about 7 hours away from her family, i know you can handle a 2-hour drive when you get homesick. but with 10 500-word stories due each week, you won't have time to feel homesick! TAKE IT!!!

geeksters said...

It's not two hours away, n; It's two days away.

And it's on a salary which means that if I work as hard as I think I'll have to, I could be making as little as $4.00/hour and not having any time to sleep or eat or do laundry or shower.

Samantha said...

geeksters that last description makes me think maybe the job isn't as fantastic as I originally thought... definitely think about it.

Unless its where you want to be and what you want to do for the rest of your life, maybe see what your other offers are?

Tanya Kristine said...

change is always scary but no matter waht decision you make, it will be a good one becuase each road will teach you something differnt.

and there ain't nothin' wrong with taht!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! » »