Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Jobbing

I just had another interview with another weekly paper. It went well except for the part where I realized I didn't really want the job.

This particular town does more human interest stories than hard-new stories because if they did real news they would be scooped by a daily. I wrote mostly feel-good stories on my internship and got tired of that fast. I can't even finish reading most stories like that -- even when my friends write it. Perhaps that's a sign.

All I want is a laidback 40-hours-a-week-maximum reporting position where I could cover city council, local politics, court and some breaking news. In other words, all I want is everything and everything doesn't come together in a neat little package like that.

My problem now isn't getting a job, it's finding one that won't kill me.