Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Good thing Dr.s know everything

The new, fully-qualified journalism department head has been chosen.

The position goes not to the wonderful current department head who loves her job, is loved, knows what journalism is, and wants to keep her job but is unfortunatly being removed from her position because she's having a significant birthday. Instead it goes to ... some guy with a doctorate in geography.

Did I say geography? Yes, I think I did.

At least the current students will find out where their future jobs will be located and what type of topography* is typical of the areas.

* If this is a real word, I have to confess I don't know what it means or how to spell it. It just sounds geography-y to me.

9 comments:

Jen said...

That's too bad. I always like the person in a lead position to love what they do.

N said...

did you make a decision about the job offer? you can't just leave us hanging, you know...

geeksters said...

I haven't posted about the job again, because I haven't decided yet. There are a lot of factors involved and I'm having a terrible time weighing them.

I'm going to call the editor and see if we can come up with a few compromises. As soon as I'm sure, I'll let you know.

Samantha said...

Figures.

I do wonder about the future of the J-School if they're gonna do stupid things like that.

Tanya Kristine said...

i think that's a good use of the word.

girl. you've been posting like mad! i think i'll take a couple hours vacation and go catch up!

Ike said...

Educational institutions ought sometimes be treated simply as Institutions where students are sent to measure their sanity.

geeksters said...

If you're still thinking about getting into j-school, Samantha, the geography prof is only taking over for a one-year term - unless they can't find anyone else to take the job.

Things will be messy for next year's students, but it's quite possible things could be back to normal the year after.

geeksters said...

You're such a three-dimensional font of wisdom when it comes to things that aren't related to mathematics or vegetables, Andy.

Samantha said...

Good to know. Do you happen to know what the name of the new Dept Head is?

I'm getting so sick of being in school already, who knows if I give up by then. One degree might be enough.