Tuesday, June 06, 2006

I said "no."

I turned down my job offer today. If I'm going to be a reporter, I want to be a good one. I want to be so much more than a story factory churning out as many words as possible.

Yesterday the editor told me the specifics of the job. Today I told him the specifics of the job I want. I hope something can be negotiated -- by that I mean I hope he agrees to my conditions --but I doubt it.

I'm talking with another editor about a job working in a Mennonite community and covering the nearby aboriginal town. The towns are rich with history and although I would perhaps be stoned to death for looking a man in the eye, it would be a fascinating experience.

For now I'm keeping my options open and seeing what will happen. Thanks to everyone who offered their advice. I appreciate it.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Good for you for knowing what you want and waiting it out until you find it.

Tai said...

That's very cool!
I've rarely turned down a job or negotiated the terms...I didn't even think it was really possible!

I do wish you the very best though.

Samantha said...

Good for you.

The right opportunity will come along, and after putting in all the work for the training you have a right to be picky about where you sign your byline.

Good luck!

Dreamlover said...

Yeah, go with your gut. No need to sell-out now for something you don't really want!

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it Course mcsd microsoft training uk Jeep hoses Lumipure ionic air purifier Designer+jewelry Dawn collection wedding invitations http://www.bad-credit-refinance-6.info/Computer-has-to-many-processes-back-ground.html