Thursday, July 06, 2006

Bugs

There are bugs in my new apartment. One of the windows had been left open before I moved in and it didn't have a screen.

My dad custom-made a screen to fit, so no more bugs are coming in, but for now there's a little problem -- being a vegetarian and a squeemish wimp, I have a really hard time killing them.

I was able to justify swatting the fruit flies because they have babies fast and I'd rather kill a few than a whole colony of them.

But moths and regular flies an ants and mosquitos are a different story.

Sometimes I will wash bugs down the drain because then I don't have to hear the sound of their tiny bodies breaking, and that has evolved into a great fear of mine. I am terrified that if I wash a bug down the drain, it will climb back up, invincible and furious with me.

Gross.

Last night I caught a moth and took it outside, not out of mercy as much as out of fear.

At least my apartment is on the second floor, so I don't have to worry about mice.