Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Budding botanist

I came up with a solution to make my sunny apartment less lonely.

Obviously a pet is out of the questions as I would probably end up killing it -- maybe accidentally or maybe in a fit of rage if it's bird cage stank or if it pooped on my floor.

Instead I've decided to go with plants. At least if they die I won't have to bury them and have little funerals.

I have aloe vera plants, three cute tiny greenish-white plants that didn't come with a card telling me what they are, spider plants and two trees.

One tree is a house plant and is about as tall as me.
The other is a cotton-tree seedling that I dug up out of my parent's yard. It's cute now, but I'm a little worried it could grow so big that it could be impossible to get it out of my apartment unless I chop it down.

Perhaps it's not a good sign that I'm already wondering how long I'll be able to keep them alive.

5 comments:

J. Rho said...

If they die, I recommend a small fuzzy cactus. They barely need anything. I had one for years that I probably watered about four or five times. They make you feel like a pro.

Jen said...

Good luck! I can't keep plants alive. I've had aloe vera, cactuses, you name it- all dead.

Jen said...

Good luck! I can't keep plants alive. I've had aloe vera, cactuses, you name it- all dead.

geeksters said...

Thanks for the contingency plan, j. rho. I think your plan is much more likely than Andy's.

geeksters said...

I sympathize, Jen.

I had an air plant that only needed a splash of water once a week. When it started turning brown, I gave it to my mom since I clearly was incapable of looking after it.