Thursday, October 05, 2006

A mystery

Can anyone explain to me how cell phones can call home phones and how home phones can call cell phones? I don't get it.

It sounds logical enough that one cell phones' frequency bounces off a tower to connect with another cell phone. And it seems easy enough for a landline to call another through the telephone wires that connect them.

But how do cell phone calls hop off of a tower and into a phone line? And how does a call that starts inside a landline end up a frequency that bounces off a tower and makes a cell phone ring?

If you know the secrets of technology, please explain this to me. I get rather agitated when I know I don't know something that's knowable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, here is how it works. In every major city there is a a building. Usually normal looking brick buildings. On one side the cell phone signals are beemed in from the cell phone towers and on the other side there is a telephone line. The telephone line looks like it has been cut and is just sort of sticking out of the wall. In the middle of the building there is a magician and he says some magic words and the cell phone signal jumps into the telephone cable and the voices in the telephone cable jump into the air as cell phone signals.

geeksters said...

That's a better explanation that what I could come up with. I totally believed you until sentence five:)