Friday, October 06, 2006

At least a little thankful

One of my favorite people was planning to come for a visit this weekend.

She was going to take the bus, but apparently it isn't going to be running on it's regular schedule since it's Thanksgiving weekend and Greyhound doesn't want to cart people home for the holidays.

My friend could drive, but her car is a huge polluting beast and burns crazy amounts of gas.

So I will try to remind myself to be thankful for pumpkin pie, for a freshly-cleaned apartment and for more time to hang out with myself.

I'll also be thankful that I'll be moving home at the end of the month and we'll be able to spend heaps of time together.

Happy Thanksgiving.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Why are you moving home already? Didn't you just get that job and your apartment? Did I miss something or was this just a term position?

geeksters said...

I gave my notice at the beginning of the month.

Basically I'm quitting because the paper and I have fundamentally different views about what journalism is supposed to be. I believe the media is a tool to empower all people in a society and to reflect that society back to the people. But the paper I work for is more interesting in making money from advertising, regardless the cost to the readers.

The conflict of our ideoligies - to make money or to serve democracy - is too big to be fixed, so I feel I have no choice but to leave.

x said...

go get em, tiger.

life's too short.

(p.s. ; draw your own conclusions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LSXvTGRk6Y )

x said...

p.p.s. i do hope that the previous is the correct usage of the semi colon, i believe it to be so, but, having only a 9th grade education, i may be wrong. knowing, as i do, that this is a particular fetish of yours, i ask your forgiveness in advance if i am mistaken.

geeksters said...

I do love those those cute little semi colons.

I'm not sure if the semi colon you used is legitimate (it may be acceptable in some snobby writing circles) but a plain old colon would have worked better there. I personally am against unnecessary punctuation since it can clutter up sentences, but I appreciate what you were trying to do.

A better place to put a semi colon would have been in this sentence, where it could be used as an equals sign instead of your comma to show that the two seperate sentences belong together and are properly balanced.

"i do hope that the previous is the correct usage of the semi colon, [*] i believe it to be so, but, having only a 9th grade education, i may be wrong."

P.S. Perhaps I ought to start looking at developing interests in things other than punctuation.

P.P.S. I'll watch that clip next time I go home as I don't want to be fired before my notice is up :)