Tuesday, October 24, 2006

An angry rant (which may discuss semi-colons)

We're getting the paper ready to go to press right now. We're supposed to be editing it to make sure no mistakes get printed, but I can't handle it anymore.

There are mistakes in everything. They're all over the place. In one story I changed manor to manner because the reporter wasn't talking about a mansion and I fixed all kinds of comma errors. You'd think if you work at a newspaper, you'd know that you can't attach two sentences by adding a comma. And you'd think you'd know that shorter sentences are most often the way to go.

Also, they use the wrong big words because they don't know what they mean. For example, I had to change causality (something that makes something happen) to casualty because the writer was talking about soldiers dying.

But the thing that makes me too angry to do any more editing is the way people here use semi-colons. Not only do they think semi-colons can be used in place of any commas or colons, they use them because they think randomly plopping semi-colons into their work make them look smart. So I quit fixing their messes.

Good thing Friday is my last day.

3 comments:

Chris said...

I know what you mean, even though I do not have to write any papers, or edit them for that MANOR, it is just frustrating that people cannot follow simple; grammar; oh well, at, least, we are up on the, propper way:;,.

Jen said...

3 more days!! You can do it.

geeksters said...

You're funny, Chris.

Now that I'm down to a day and a half of punctuation angst, I think I can make it.