Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Top-quality medicare

I went to a walk-in clinic to get x-rays done on my neck. I was in two car accidents and the provincial insurance comany that's been dealing with my case recommended I get x-rays before starting up my physiotherapy program.

So when the doctor came into the examination room, I told him all I needed was for him to write me a note telling the x-ray technician to take a few pictures of my neck bones. Simple and easy, enough for the doctor, wouldn't you think?

He got really angry and was not-quite-but-almost yelling, refusing to take my case. "If I get involved," he said, "the government will keep sending me paperwork about you and I don't want to do it." (He only gets paid for the number of clients he sees, so he wouldn't make any extra money by filling out any forms the insurance agency wanted him to.)

Then he insisted I go back to the first doctor I saw after the accidents, but I can't remeber even going to the doctor back then. If I had, it was to a rude walk-in clinic doctor who didn't think anything was wrong. I explained this to the doctor and he kept telling me he wouldn't do anything for me.

Well in Canada, medicare is free and provided by the government, so I asked how he could refuse to help me. He, continuing in his scary angry voice, said he already told me and it seemed like he was going to walk out.

I was getting mad by then and said, "Do you usually refuse to help your patients?"

He didn't like that too much.

By the end, I was getting so frustrated that my voice cracked. Soon after, he gave in and authorized my x-rays.

My x-rays showed that I really do have a bonus vertebrae in my neck. Doctors should know better than to mess with mutants.

No comments: