Friday, August 25, 2006

Forest Gump sat across from me on the bus today.

A feeble old man got on the bus today and didn't stop talking until he reached his destination. As he was talking in my general direction and as no one else was paying any attention, I gave him a few Mona-Lisa smiles in between listening to him and turning to look out the window, hoping he would stop talking. But he sure wouldn't.

He told me about his shed that has a lawnmower in it, stray cats that he looks after and how he likes fishing. Then he said that he had been engaged a few years before but his fiance died in her sleep seven months before they were going to be married. She died of epilepsy, a condition he has too, and I bet if he had been with her she'd have had a much better chance at surviving.

Poor little sweet man.

7 comments:

geeksters said...

Sounds like you must be part reporter.

x said...

y'all can learn alot from the nutjobs...

thats my people right there.

x said...

unrelated, but, ooh, you'll like this story....

let this be a lesson: don't be fucking with no chuolos....

Michelle said...

Poor guy. Good for you for giving him an ear. Some people just need someone to talk to.

geeksters said...

I have two thought on that, JLM.

1. At least they weren't wasteful and used most of the available raw materials. (Excuse the "raw" -- I couldn't resist.)

2. While it's unfortunate that people were killed, it's good to see that they resisted the colonizers. I wonder what the world would be like now if the indigenous people everywhere had been able to keep the invaders out. (Did I mention sometimes I'm ashamed to be white?)

geeksters said...

Bad day?

I'm aware it was the Spanish colonizers in this case, but I was talking about colonization in the general sense, most of which was inflicted by white Europeans.

I'd rather think the work I do is recycled as fish wrap, instead of as house-training papers for puppies.

x said...

us poor crackers are gonna get it soon darlin enough, don't worry...

what goes around, comes around.

(p.s. no not bad day, but must have been blind drunk when i wrote that one, and the demon liquor does tend to make me a little harsh. can't wait to get back to south america and back on the naughty salt. much, much better for my constitution.)