Thursday, August 31, 2006

The criminal/ reporter (part 2)

Yesterday was terrible.

It turns out that information I got from a police officer about a person's court case was incorrect. I wrote what he told me, and the person's family came in to complain.

It's a crime to print wrongful accusations. Defamation.

So I defamed a kid and it doesn't matter who my source was because as a reporter it's my job to make sure I only write true things.

I checked my legal guide and found out that I couldn't go to jail for this particular case, but the paper could be sued. (Because I'm acting under the paper's direction, they're ultimately responsible if I make a mistake.)

Obviously my bosses weren't happy and they took me to the police station to meet with the officer. He apologized and took full responsibility, so I think they forgive me. It sounds like the bosses had been talking about not covering court anymore, which would have devestated me because that's what I like most about living here, but the officer told them he's really glad that we're reporting on court.

I did some checking and I think the worst that could happen if we get sued is that we'll have to pay $1. That's what happened in another court case where a criminal was defamed. In that case the judge ruled that if someone has no reputation to begin with, they don't deserve compensation for harm to their repuatation.

So it seems like after printing a correction everything will be okay. I'm exhausted though. Even my bones feel weary.

3 comments:

geeksters said...

There were two very similar cases with very similar fines. We were in court extra long that day and a woman everyone knows is guilty had just been pardoned. He was tired, frustrated and wanted to go home. I guess everyone makes mistakes.

I don't know if i could afford to pay the dollar right away or if I'd have to set up a payment plan.

P.S. Are you coming to visit this weekend?

Anonymous said...

Phew, I'm glad you still have your job and that it will only cost you a loonie, at most, to right the mistake.
Live and learn. You are a great writer and a diligent reporter. :)

geeksters said...

Thanks Amanda.