Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Aggrivating

I don't want the paper I work for to be crappy and I don't think anyone else in the office wants that either.

But so far today I've "discussed" two things we're doing that seem completely ridiculous.

First, we're printing a four page list of names of people participating in an event. Just their names. That's big news, I hear, and everyone in town wants to see a big ol' list in the paper.

And we have about five letters to the editor this week, and all except one are about the same thing. Wouldn't it seem logical to put the one off-topic letter at the beginning or the end, to seperate it from everything else and to keep the readers from getting annoyed and confused? Apparently not.

Why is common sense not working today?

I wrote that 10 minutes ago. Now I'm annoyed about two more things. A cheesy pun I made has been edited out. Instead of calling the court briefs "Court briefs," I had them under the heading "Court, briefly." But it's been changed back to the boring unfunny way now.

Also, I didn't write about the man who was charged with drinking and driving because I don't want to write trash. If something had happened other than him getting caught, like if he had hurt someone or gotten into a big accident, then it would be news. But just naming him and saying that he pled guilty seems low to me. So I didn't do it and I'm not going to.

One last complaint for the day — I hate editing mistakes out of other people's work and having them edit mistakes into mine. Dates, semi-colons, possessives, singular/plural agreement, and it's versus its seem to be the biggest problems here.

I can't wait to leave the office. (And I bet the rest of the people in the office also can't wait for me to leave today.)

2 comments:

x said...

it's hard work being surrounded by proles.

as chaka khan said, i feel for you...

don't let then fuckers drag you down to their level.

but, some people will always be content in their ignorance.

just learn to pick your battles, sis.

and if that doesn't work, just remember that trick with the fish i told ya about.

kill 'em with kindness, and don't get mad, get even.

geeksters said...

Yeah.

I had a conversation today that went like this:

Me: So I'm just wondering if we do this the wrong way all the time on purpose or if you'll let me do this properly.

Boss: Well, I like it better this way.

Me: So we'll just continue doing it the wrong way then?

Boss: Yes.

Fun.