Saturday, April 08, 2006

Magical skin recipies

A few months ago I read a book about how toxic cosmetics and all kinds of beauty products are. Instead of continuing to rub lead and other deadly chemicals on my face, I started making my own concoctions. Besides being safe to use, good for my skin and easy to make, they're also really cheap. I've used up only about $5 worth of ingredients although I've been using these products every day and whipping up batches for friends.

Here are some of the simplest and most useful ones I've tried.....

Honey Lip Balm:
1 tsp grated beeswax
1 tsp almond oil or any kind of vegetable oil
1/2 tsp honey

Directions: Boil water in a pot on the stove. Put the beeswax in a tin can (an empty old soup can will do) and lower the can into the water, making sure no water gets inside. Add the oil to the wax and stir until the wax is completely melted. Then remove the mix from the boiling water, add the honey and keep stirring to keep the mixture from seperating. When it cools down, put it into a little container. If you find it too thick, heat again and add more oil. If too thin, heat again and add more beeswax.

Hydrating Facial Lotion for Sensitive Skin:
3 tsp grated beeswax
8 tsp almond oil or any kind of vegetable oil
1 tsp honey
5 drops lavender or rose essential oil (optional)

Directions:
Follow the same directions as for lip balm. Apply to slightly damp skin and allow it to absorb before putting makeup on. Because the lotion and lip balm have many of the same ingredients, it's easy to make them at the same time.

Facial Exfoliator:
1 tsp baking soda

Directions:
Dampen skin, then rub baking soda in using a circular motion. Rinse and pat dry. Follow with lotion or your skin will feel very dry. Do not do this treatment more than 2 times a week.This exfoliator works just as well as NeoStrata's $70 kit. I love how smooth it makes my skin feel.

I have a lot of recipies but this is enough for now. If anyone is interested in hearing more, just let me know and I'll do another post.

3 comments:

Jen said...

That's really sweet. I'd like to try a few of these and if I want more, I will let you know. ;)

Where do you get the beeswax?

geeksters said...

I found my beeswax at Old Fashioned Foods, but I'm sure most health food/organic stores either carry it or would order it for you if you asked.

Good luck with the recipies:)

Bre said...

that's cool, post more!!!