Sunday, April 09, 2006

Fraud

I am thinking about committing insurance fraud and feel more nervous about being audited that guilty about the fraud itself.

It's kind of tricky explaining the scenario without mentioning the other parties involved, so these individuals or companies will just be referred to by letters.

About three months ago I went to A. for assistance with a problem I was having and was reasurred that any money I paid up front would be fully refunded. I had the choice of filling out a lot of paperwork and sending the claim to B., or doing nothing and sending it to C.. C. refused the claim, saying it had to go through B. first until B. wouldn't pay anymore, so A. and I worked together to get everything cleared up and sent it to B.

The problem is that A. charged more than B. is willing to compensate because A. billed me incorrectly from the start. (A.'s billing would have been right if C. was paying, but B. gets a discounted rate). A. and B. have discussed the situation with each other and with me, and neither is willing to pay the difference. A. says B. has paid the full amount before, but B. says I need to get the money back from A..

But then A. came up with a brilliant idea: fraud.

A. suggested writing false receipts for dates when I didn't receive treatment and submit them to C. because C. isn't aware of the problem and pays for the treatment when B. has covered all it will.

Is this wrong? It's all money I paid that was guaranteed to be covered by either B. or C..

The amount I was shorted is only $70, but I'm really poor and that money would sure come in handy. I just don't want to get caught and be accused of doing something illegal. And it's only "sort of" fraud, considering that I'm only asking to be refunded the money I already spent....

What a dilemma. But I think it's at least somewhat justafiable. It's not like I'm trying to extort anyone. But even so, I feel a little guilty confessing what I'm thinking of doing.

2 comments:

Bre said...

sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Why don't you make an agreement with yourself/the universe that if you do this, you will one day do a good deed when you are financially stable to make up for it. For example you'll give double the amount to a charity, anonymously, and not expect anything in return. See cause everything you do comes back to you so if you are in serious need, you just have to take care of yourself and vow to make it up to the world. And then DO IT or else there may be negative repercussions. (Did I even spell that right?????) Good luck.

geeksters said...

I didn't do try to get my money back the scam-y easy way. Instead I wrote a letter to B explaining the situation and asking him to call A to discuss which one, if either, will be able to pay the difference.

Thanks for the criticism, JLM. You helped me make a much better decision thn the one I was considering.