Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The job search, cover letters and shoes

It's been two and a half months since I had a job that lasted more than 5.5 hours. I'm running out of money, am impossibly bored and am desperate for a good/proper/real job.

On the bright side, I'm getting really good at writing cover letters.

I just found out that it's not normal to send references along with a resume, but to hold them back until the interwiew or until the employer asks for them. That seems weird to me and my resume seems lonely without them.

Also I just discovered that it's a good idea to put your contact info on both your resume and cover letter in case they get seperated.

Another thing I learned from online cover-letter writing services is that instead of saying, "I am hard-working, energetic and passionate about ____ ( a specific aspect of your company), it's better to give specific examples that prove these things.

I applied for a job in Toronto that I'm completely unqualified for and have been sending my resume out here and there to take some of the edge off the PR job I really want. Tomorrow is the last day people can apply for it and then the real worrying starts.

A friend and I went to the mall yesterday and I bought a pair of black pointy-toed office shoes after she agreed it would be impossible for an interviewer not to hire me while I'm wearing them.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I hope your magical shoes land you your dream job!