Wednesday, January 24, 2007

A case of preformance anxiety

So I'm having a crisis. I was going to wear an uber-professional skirt suit, but I've decided it would look weird to be bare calved in the middle of January. My interview is with a woman and I don't want to scandalize her with unseasonal skin. I don't have the suit pants to match my jacket, so now I'm not so sure what I'm going to wear tomorrow.

I don't know where my hair straightener is either (I haven't seen it since I moved home) so I think I may have to resort to a curling iron or a severe-looking ponytail.

I sent in my work to my freelance boss and made a little joke about how it's lucky for him that I still haven't found a day job. He e-mailed back to say how much he liked what I had written and to offer to be a reference for me! I already have two good references but was thinking I should add another one to fill up the page, so I'm in luck.

I did a little investigating and found out that pretty much the entire interview will be questions about how I delt with particular situations in the past. I've been preparing answers to a bunch of possible questions, but am worried I'll slip up and start talking about all the times I've been "let go" or how I got so angry about punctuation at my last job that I couldn't handle it and had to quit.

I'm nervous that I didn't learn enough about the company and that I'll mess up the numbers, saying billions instead of millions or forgetting about the technical words I should be using.

My stomache is in knots and I feel like I'm going to throw up. I think I want this too much and I'm worried that because I want it so badly I'm going to turn into a babbling, stammering incoherent mess tomorrow. But for now I'm going to try to forget my nerves and have another look over the company's last annual report.

3 comments:

Jen said...

You sound super prepared to me. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I would be peeing my pants too if I were you. I'm terrible with stress. I used to almost throw up before a quizmeet for heaven's sake!

geeksters said...

I miss the days when confusing an "if" with an "or" meant the end of our lives. Quizzing should have come with stress support groups.