Saturday, September 16, 2006

The sort-of invitation

(Warning: this post containes pompous blustering, which I will try to keep to a minimum in the future.)

I made it onto the Dean's List last year and went to a little ceremony yesterday to collect a pin, a certificate and a nice heaping of praise.

The speaker sat beside me and we talked for a bit. He had spent 10 years as dean and is still teaching. After I told him I had already graduated and was working at a paper, he asked if I had considered graduate studies. (!!!)

I'm considering that my official invitation.

There's an idea in sociology called the looking-glass self. It's a theory that people decide who they are based on what they think others think about them.

I think the theory works, at least when it comes to decoding myself. Now that I know the dean thinks I'm smart enough to handle graduate work, maybe I'll have to give it a try.

5 comments:

geeksters said...

Lady, maam and woman all seem to refer to a frail 80-year-old woman wearing a scarf to hold her hair in place.

I would rather be called a girl or a kid or even a long-toed, long necked weirdo.

Judging by your profile picture, you don't appear to be of great depth of thought, but I value your opinion regardless.

School is fun. I love almost everything about it.

x said...

skirt is quite good, actually, is't it?

it kinda implies stilletos and tight pencil skirts split to the thigh, as daywear.

which is certainly not a look to be sneezed at.

(you will die when i tell you whose video i'm shooting tomorrow)

geeksters said...

Being, as it happens, a female and not an article of clothing, the skirt doesn't quite seem to fit.

"Lady" seems to be what people yell out their windows after a bad driver cuts them off. To me, "lady" seems like a sarcastic term, although I'm sure those wearing pearl necklaces and elbow-length gloves appreciate the word a little more than I do.

ps. Hi Neil.
pps. P, whose video?

x said...

can't say till it's out, had to sign 10 page non disclosure contract.......

it's brilliant though.

geeksters said...

Sounds fabulous, P. Have fun!