Thursday, September 07, 2006

I've thought about quitting about 100 times today.

Most jobs I've had have lasted three days to three months. I'm getting closer to the three-month mark and the suffocation is starting.

I had a disagreement with one of my old friends a while back. I said I've gone through probably 20 jobs so far in my relatively short years of being an employee. She didn't think the total could be anywhere near as high, so I'm going to make a list to see who'se right.

1. working at a park in new Brunswick, riding my bike up and down the trails all summer

2. working as a file clerk/secretary at an insurance company (fired)

3. working at tim hortons (fired)

4. working as a Santa photographer in the mall

5. packaging nuts and candies for a snack company (fired)

6. selling magazines door-to-door

7. working at a call centre doing surveys

8. picking berries at a little berry farm

9. working at a coffee shop

10. doing home care for a parapalegic (I lasted 3 days)

11. working in a department store

12. working in housekeeping

13. working in housekeeping at another hotel (fired)

14. working at a cell phone call centre

15. working in cosmetics at Shoppers' drug Mart

16. working as a painter

17. packing for people who were moving

18. big internship at a real paper

19. my current job

20. demonstrating products like Swiffer Mops in malls and handing out chocolate samples

****this list is only partly in order****

I wonder if it's a record to go through 20 jobs in 6 years, while also going to school. If not, maybe being fired three times in a row can be my claim to fame.

5 comments:

Jen said...

That's a lot of "experience". :)

geeksters said...

Cute, Jen.

I was fired from four jobs, Faunty and of those, three were in a row. I should quit my job, move back home and try your suggestion with my resume so I'll never have to work again. Genius plan.

x said...

well, not to be rude or anything, but they were almost all crap jobs right?

stick with what you love, sis.

rich and poor are the same if you can look at yourself in the mirror and know you never took it in the ass for money.

figuratively speaking, of course.

and poverty is the best diet ever. oh, wait, no, the second best....

the naughty salt, vodka, tonic and teenage sperm diet rates somewhat higher. more protein.

geeksters said...

Here is the "are" you forgot too.
;)

geeksters said...

P, I agree that self-exploitation is terrible. That's why I keep changing jobs.

To be more accurate, poverty is actually a terrible diet.

The disadvantaged often don't have access to grocery stores and tend to buy their food from convenience stores, where the nutritional componants are sacrificed. And statistics show that the poorer a person is, the more likely she is choose cheap carbs (like those noodles that are 30 cents a pack) instead of fruits and vegetables.

If you were talking more along the lines of Third World poverty, being very thin would be likely, but only until you become malnourished and your belly swells up and your hair turns bright orange.