Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Social shortcomings

In my class presentation earlier this week, a classmate and I offended our professor.

We were talking about political cartoons and how the media have to come to some sort of balance between social responsibility and freedom of the press. In particular, we looked at the case of the Danish newspaper that ran 12 cartoons making fun of Islam and the prophet Mohammed.

For those who don't know, foreign embassies were evacuated, people were killed and there was mass rioting across the Muslim world. All this rage poured out because the religion forbids any attempt to draw or portray Mohammed. In printing the cartoons, the paper intentionally attacked Islam and even showed Mohammed himself as a terrorist.

Now on to my mistake...

During my research, I found the anti-Muslim cartoons and we decided to include them in the presentation on powerpoint to illustrate what we were talking about.

The only problem is that my professor is Muslim.

He was so offended by the pictures, he looked at the ground while asking us to skip to the next part of the presentation.

Oops.

This reminds me of the time I confronted a classmate for skipping out on a presentation and (I thought) taking advantage of our sweet old professor. Turns out he was doing his presentation after class because he couldn't do it without his special BRAILLE computer.

Maybe it's time to stop talking.

2 comments:

Amanda Brown said...

Gotta love those "foot in mouth" moments. I've had my share. :)

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! audio conferencing internet counting black jack nortel norstar m7310 conference calls