Thursday, April 19, 2007

My ridiculousness

1.

I was walking to work, swinging my purse a little by the strap, when a bunch of people came towards me from the other direction. I moved a bit closer to the edge of the sidewalk and continued swinging my purse.

As I was passing a fire hydrant, I felt a slight tug – my purse had gotten hooked on the front spout.

2.

I was at a work seminar earlier this week wearing my regular boots and walking down a flight of regular stairs. Then I tripped and most glamorously struggled not to fall on my face. I barely managed to avoid falling. I did not manage to avoid embarrassing myself.

One might think that after 24 and a half years of existing, remaining upright should be a rather easy and mundane task.

3.

You’ll forgive me for telling you such outdated news when you hear how disastrous it was.

Five years ago I was working as a house keeper at a fairly nice hotel when I lived in a mountain-resort town. I was wearing a drawstring skirt and a mandatory cleaning staff apron that tied in the back.

A hotel guest (male, late 40’s, early 50’s) was still in his room when I went to clean it and he wanted me to clean his room while he worked at a table across from the bed. As I was making his bed, my ankle-length skirt felt a little loose so I kept tugging it up.

It wasn’t until I was in the next room that I realized it hadn’t been my skirt that I was adjusting. Instead, I had been tugging up my very unprofessional underwear and likely sending out a rather inappropriate message. It wasn’t long after that terrible embarrassment that I decided to stop making other people’s beds.

4.

I developed a crush on the guy who was behind me in line at the grocery store last night. This happened solely because he laughed at something I said and because our groceries matched. He was buying healthy bread and a huge case of organic salad. I was buying whole-wheat bread and organic lettuce.

It’s totally meant to be.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ding dang I love hearing about your life. You make the most ordinary things SO interesting. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I wish the best for you and your grocery patron :-)

Jen said...

Sounds like soul mates to me. :)

Anonymous said...

Your right you are rediculous. Who else get stuck on a fire hydrant? I would have been a funnier story if you had gotten drenched or fell into a puddle...

geeksters said...

Hey little sister, I can't believe you're reading my blog while you're in the Phillipines. Get outside and go scuba diving or have an adventure!

I miss you. Come home soon.

Anonymous said...

We went to a hiking to some waterfalls. We swam downstream to a beautiful waterfall with a cave and smaller waterfalls behind. There was a tiny island that had a gentle streams of water flowing from above I felt like the girl in the herbal essences commercial. I used my underwater camera. We have a beautiful natural pool nearby that we occasionally go swimming in but it feels like jumping into a freezer.

geeksters said...

You know I'm totally jealous.

I've been counting the days until you get back. I have no idea what I'll do when you move there.

A nine-year old kid misses you a lot too. She wrote, "I miss you" in huge letters on the sidewalk. I was home for the weekend and mistakenly thought the message was for me. Maybe she thought if she wrote big enough you'd see it from the Phillipines and come home.

I finally went to get my dress fitted. It will cost about $70, but it will look smashing. The tailor is making it a little snug, so I might have to leave the zipper open during the wedding:)