Thursday, March 15, 2007

A few personal shortcomings

Feeding myself is turning out harder than it should be. Part of the problem is that my fridge is broken so pretty much all I can have in my apartment are room-temperature foods.

Other obstacles are that I am 1) cheap, 2) lazy and 3) a picky eater.

Today I missed breakfast and was foraging through my cupboard for something to eat at work. I found a bag of baking walnuts. They are now gone and my jaw is a little sore from all the chewing.

At lunch time, I thought I'd bring myself a little afternoon snack. Apart from a package of cookie dough, the only acceptable snack I could find was a bag of chocolate chips. They were delicious at first, but I have had far too many of them for one afternoon.

I think it's about time for me to invest in a box or two of granola bars.

Another complication of living on my own is that now there's no one to clean up my messes. No one washes my dishes or scrubs out my stove or cleans my tub or stocks up on toilet paper for me anymore. I miss my good-cooking, good-cleaning mom.

I actually am so tired of my messiness that I called a few cleaning companies yesterday to see how much it would cost to have a maid. It costs would cost almost as much as rent to have someone else do my tidying for me. I'm trying to convince my mom I need a weaning process to get me used to cleaning up after myself, but I don't think my charms are working on her.

While I may not be able to feed myself properly or clean up my miniature home, I still have my super-shopping abilities. You'll be pleased to know that I now have a pair of snug-hipped wide-legged plaid work pants ($19.99) and a light blue, dark green and maroon button-up work shirts ($15 for all three).

So I may be messy and malnourished, but at least I am professionally attired.

3 comments:

Jen said...

You are hilarious! Spend $15 on some cleaning supplies and take an hour and clean up your place. Save yourself a couple hundred dollars. :)

Anonymous said...

Well done on the shopping front!
Sounds like you scored a good deal.

As for the cleaning and eating part, granola bars, fruit to go, raisins and crackers are good desk treats.
And the cleaning thing...uhhh good luck? I'm a procrastinator at the best of times. I only keep my place clean when I know I've got company coming. So maybe you just need to invite people over?

Anonymous said...

You write very well.